Saturday, August 4, 2007

Perfect World p3

Part 3

Sydney's best friend, Alicia, had just left her office for the day to come and see her friend in the hospital. She met Sydney's nurse at the nurse's station and the nurse told her that Sydney was awake. Alicia was so relieved she could not wait to get her room.

Alicia walked into the room and saw Sydney trying to sit up. Alicia got to Sydney in time to help her up and to put some pillows behind her back.

"How are you feeling, How's that leg of yours? Thank God you're OK. We were so worried. What the hell happened?" beamed Alicia.

"I have no earthly idea. I don't remember anything," Sydney answered.

"Well maybe that's a good thing," said Alicia. "The paramedic said that the fire department came and had to pry your ass out of the car with the Jaws of Life. That must have been some accident. For a few minutes they consider cutting off your leg but thank god the chief said no"

"Please don't tell me anymore," said Sydney. "That's something I don't think I want to remember." Looking at her shattered leg she knew there was going to some real hard work but without knowing why she so excited about being on crutches with her leg in a full cast

Sydney was looking at Alicia and suddenly noticed something quite different about her. Alicia was the same height as Sydney and had gone to college with her. She had hazel eyes and light brown hair with highlights. But something was nagging her and she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"What's the matter?" Alicia asked noticing how intently Sydney was staring at her.

"Oh, you just look a bit different from what I remember."

"What do you mean, we just saw each other a few days before the accident and I haven't done anything different. Do you mean my highlights?" asked Alicia.

"Oh, nothing." said Sydney wanting to change the subject.

"So where was I going, or are coming from when I was in the accident."

"Well you were coming from home.. I think, you don't remember?"

"No nothing at all"

She had no idea what Alicia was talking about and this was scaring both women. She did not know what to think. And Alicia has never seen Sydney so unsure of her self.

"I'll be right back," Alicia said slowly. I'm going to go get the doctor. You stay right here."

"It's not like I'm going anywhere, look at all the metal and weights attach to my leg" Sydney replied sagging back into her pillows.

Alicia almost ran out of the room in search of the doctor. It was a good thing that the doctor was on his way to check on his patient. Alicia stopped him in the hall and told him that Sydney was asking a bunch of weird questions.

"What kind of weird questions?" asked Dr. Russell.

"The kind of questions that would imply that she had no idea who she is," said Alicia.

"Well that's not unusual," said Dr. Russell. "She is suffering from a head injury and is experiencing amnesia. I checked on her earlier today right when she woke up."

"Oh my goodness, really," said Alicia. "Well, that does explain a couple of things, but she seemed to know who I was. Only, she did say that I looked different and kept staring at me.

"Comes with the territory. Hopefully this will be a temporary affliction. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go and check on her. Oh, and by the way, do you know when her husband will be back in? I will need to speak to him."

"I don't know."

"That's okay. I'll just have one of the nurses call him. She will be able to be casted and go home, but she needs to be prepared."

-----------------------------

Mario has been in a daze since his wife's car accident. Sydney has always seemed so strong and independent, but when he saw her in her hospital bed with her leg in traction, she looked so small,
Vulnerable and beautiful. He couldn't help but feel helpless, unable to do something-anything.

He left the office and headed to the hospital. He was grateful that she was getting better physically.

"I'm Mario Marielli, Sydney's husband, can you get me Dr. Russell.

"Why yes Mr. Marielli, just a minute while I page him," said that nurse while picking up the phone to page him.

After about five minutes, Dr. Russell emerges from the elevator and goes directly to Dr. Russell.

"Hello Mr. Marielli. I take it you've heard the good news that we will be able to take her leg out of the traction and into a cast soon. It will be months before she can put any weights on her leg and she might have a limp forever."

"Yes doctor thank you, but I was told that you had some concerns about Sydney's condition."

"Let me get Sydney's chart and I will meet you in the visitor's lounge," suggested the doctor.

"Okay doctor," said Mario who had a worried look on his face.

Mario went into a deserted waiting room a little ways down the hall to wait on the doctor. A million things were going through his head, none of them good.

Dr. Russell entered the waiting room with the chart and sat next to Mario.

"So, what is wrong Dr. Russell?"

"Well, let's talk about the good stuff. The head injury from the accident did not impair anyting"

"What a relief? And the bad news?"

"Sydney's memory loss is still the same actually no improvement"

"Could it be permanent?" asked Mario.

"Mr. Marielli, Sydney has not been able to recall a significant portion of her long term memory. She does not remember the last 10 years of her life and she may never."

Mario had a puzzled look on his face. Not remember the last 10 years of her life. Not able to recall a significant portion of her life. Is that possible that she might never remember is affair?

"I met Sydney about 8-9 years ago and we were married 3 years after that, doctor. Are you trying to tell me that my wife may never remember me?" he said in disbelief.

"I asked your wife several questions regarding her life again and Sydney stated that she was not married and had no children."

"Yeah, we don't have any children, but we have been married for the past 5 years. And she doesn't remember any of that."

"No, nothing."

"I don't know how to handle this," he said running his
fingers through his hair.

"She needs you right now. Between her leg and memory loss It is important for her too meet you. The amnesia could possibly be a temporary symptom."

"Or it could be indefinite. I've heard of people who never get their memory back. Dr. Russell, I have to tell you, she may not want to remember the last few days...." Oh shit why did I say that to him and why do I feel excited about the idea that she will be in a leg cast of some kinds for months

"Well, not sure what you mean but right now you are a stranger to her. You have no past with her as far as she is concerned. We need to start talking about helping her in her recovery Mr. Marielli. Soon, she will be released from the hospital and will need to go home with you."

"Alright doctor" said Mario.

Part 4 to come

No comments: